Tuesday, November 8, 2011

spaghetti lasagna: not too much of a good thing.

Today was a great day.

  1. I got a lot of work done at school.
  2. I caught up with a good friend and her precious baby boy.
  3. I experienced a coconut steamer for the first time.



Thank you, Lydia, for the reco (haha). YUM. So delish!


Today, I did not figure out what to do with the leftover candy chicken, but tomorrow is another day ;)

For dinner tonight, we had 'spaghetti' lasagna. Weird name. I know. I came up with it. Basically it's just spaghetti squash used in place of the usual lasagna noodles. SO GOOD. I used this recipe as a jumping off point, but changed it up quite a bit.

Are you getting excited yet?

Last time we had spaghetti squash, I boiled it whole in a big pot of water. That resulted in me almost getting severe burns because the water went LOCO.

This time, I sliced it in half lengthwise, got all the gunk out of the middle, put one half in an oval baker, put 1/2 cup of water in the squash, and then put the other half on top. Microwave for 10 minutes and voila! Perfect. No burns.

While that was cooking, I sauteed some ground beef, onions, garlic, and peppers. Smelled amazing. When the squash and beef were finished, AJ texted me and said he'd be late. So I waited...

just waiting to be something delicious...

We waited... and waited. Finally, he texted to say he was on his way home so I started 'assembly' aka layering: sauce, 'noodles', meat, cheese and so on. I also threw in some salami and pepperoni pieces because they were left over from the stromboli.

Then, I baked it at 325 for about 30 minutes. And this is the result, folks:

Here's some close-ups:



Let me just tell you: after candy chicken, I'm almost expecting disastrous results with every opening of the oven. This did not disappoint. It is SO yummy that I'm glad I made a whole casserole. We'll have spaghetti lasagna for work tomorrow and for dinner on Thursday. And I am HAPPY about that. 

The best part is: it's a pretty healthy meal: lots of veggies and some ground beef. Try it. You'll love!

No comments:

Post a Comment