Thursday, November 17, 2011

sentimental

One Christmas party in elementary school, my mama was a hero. She had made homemade popcorn balls for my whole class. I was so proud of her. They were DELICIOUS and everyone wanted the extras.

I've never attempted popcorn balls... and I don't remember her ever doing it again either... but this comes close: caramel corn! YUM. I followed this recipe after finding it on the 'Best Desserts' list... and it did not disappoint. I did cut it in half though because we do not need to feed 20 people ;) But I'm pretty sure I could eat the 10-person serving! 

You start by melting a stick of butter. Yes, a stick. Imagine you're Paula Deen if it helps...


While I did that, I also popped some popcorn. Some of the reviews said to NOT use microwave popcorn and make your own... I trust those allrecipes.com people, so I did that. I have fond memories of my mom making popcorn on the stovetop as well... She's awesome!

Start with that... end with this...


And... then you add corn syrup, brown sugar, and salt to the butter and stir until boiling... and then it has to boil for FOUR minutes. EXACTLY :) Or so they say.

While you are being patient and waiting your four minutes, pour the popcorn into a greased, large baking pan (I used two Pyrex containers, one 9x13 and one a little smaller).  



When the caramel has boiled, mix in some vanilla and baking soda. Mix it and then start pouring over the popcorn! Try and mix it up with the popcorn. I then added some peanuts because I love caramel corn and peanuts together. 

You have to bake it for an hour and stir every 15 minutes. That was a little annoying if we're going to be honest.

But it is SO worth it. Delicious. AJ and I are trying not to eat it all while waiting for guests to arrive :)

No comments:

Post a Comment