Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Chai Latte Cupcakes

A few weeks ago, I saw a picture of some cupcakes that were decorated like they came from Starbucks on Pinterest and an idea was born!:
compliments of this blog :)

My dear friend, Meg, and I have a thing for Starbucks chai lattes. She's a teacher too (she's my mentor!) so we adore those early mornings when an icy chai can help us get through :)

She's also VERY pregnant right now, so I wanted to make these for her baby shower. Unfortunately, I noticed them too late and a cake was already ordered. So... I made them for my kiddos!

I've mentioned before that everytime my students spell out the word compliment (they get each letter by getting praised in the hallway or doing a great job at specials), I bake for them. I've got several kiddos who don't LOVE chocolate... so I've tried to be considerate of them and not make everything chocolate... although I want to. I badly want to.

I found the recipe on the Betty Crocker website and was a little skeptical.  I am SO glad I made them though... my kids thought they were AMAZING. They earn one sticker a day for good behavior; I had several kiddos offer up 20 stickers for one more. That means they were crazy good; my kids are greedy sticker-getters.

And yes, Meg did get one :) And she loved it.

Ingredients:

  • 1 box french vanilla cake mix and all the ingredients listed on the back of the box (eggs, water, oil)
  • 3 tablespoons chai latte mix (I have a big canister from Trader Joe's)
  • Extra nutmeg, cinnamon, and cardamom if you like it spicy!

Frosting:

  • 1 can buttercream icing
  • cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom to mix in.


Instructions:

  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Line your cupcake pan with liners or spray with cooking spray.
  • Make the cake mix as directed, mixing in the chai mix with the batter.
  • Pour into liners (2/3 full!) and then put into oven for time on back of box.
  • Let cool and then mix frosting up. Ice them however you want :)
  • I did frost some with a pastry bag and tip, but I frosted several with just a knife. A lot of my kids wanted the less-iced ones, surprisingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment