Saturday, February 4, 2012

spinach & feta stromboli

I've posted about stromboli before and you can find that post here. However, I've been thinking about switching it up lately... AJ and I recently tried Domino's spinach and feta cheesy bread and it was amazing... so yummy. That served as my inspiration :)

I used store-bought pizza dough again, but this time I added about half a cup of tomato sauce as the bottom layer.


And then I added 3 or 4 cups of Spinach:

And then some feta and mozzarella:
YUMMMMM!

Then, I wrapped it up. I actually had a few issues doing this... the spinach was so fluffy that it was hard to get the dough all together without it tearing. The places that did tear, I just grabbed dough from the end and tried to patch it up. I also had to put some toothpicks in to secure it and keep it closed. YIKES :)

Seriously though... the appearance doesn't matter that much. Taste will make people love you :)
If you look closely at the top left, you can see a naught spinach peeking out. Bad spinach!

I sprinkled olive oil and oregano/basil on top and baked at 375 for 20-25 minutes (crust is golden brown and fluffy).

Verdict: so delicious. Can't wait to make again. 

Ingredients:

  • one can of pizza dough (I used Pillsbury)
  • four cups of fresh spinach (you could also probably use frozen chopped, which is a lot cheaper! I'm going to try that next time.)
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (eyeball it.)
  • one small can tomato sauce (I think they're like eight oz?)
  • garlic oil & oregano for garnish (this is optional)


Instructions:

  • Preheat oven to 375.
  • Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray or line with foil.
  • Pop (my fave. part) the pizza dough and spread it out. Be careful not to have any holes.
  • Spread the tomato sauce in the middle of the dough. 
  • Top with spinach and then the cheese mixture.
  • Do your best to close it ;)
  • Sprinkle with oil and spices if desired and bake for 20-25 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
  • Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment