Monday, February 27, 2012

broiled blood oranges

Aren't these babies beautiful?

and look at the inside:

Blood oranges are a variety of orange (hello, captain obvious), but they have a pigment that other oranges don't which gives them that purpley color. (Bonus: the specific pigment fights free radicals!)

They taste more intense... less sweet, almost like berries.

Anyways, try one. They're so yummy and also beautiful!

I've been hearing about broiling citrus for a little while now, so I decided blood oranges would be perfect to try.

I melted about a tablespoon of butter and then mixed in enough sugar to make a paste. I sprinkled some cardamom and cinnamon in there and then spread it on top of the orange halves.

I put the broiler on (I used the low setting) and put those babies on a cookie sheet and slid them in.

Wait five minutes... and ta-da. YUM. The sugar caramelized....



Next, I want to try putting the paste on the segments instead of halves. Such a fun and yummy dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment