Monday, December 5, 2011

Panettone French Toast

World Market is probably my favorite store, next to Trader Joe's of course. I find so many wonderful things there... most recently, panettone.




I follow Giada de Laurentiis on twitter and she suggested the other day using panettone for french toast. Well, first off.. I've never even had panettone... but she made it sound AMAZING.

At World Market, they had a really big box of it and then a smaller (I think 3 ounce) box. I got the smaller version, and it turned out to be just right for AJ and I. I had to wait to use it until we both had a morning off, which turned out to be Sunday.



I found several recipes for panettone french toast, but I didn't have everything needed for any of them. Therefore, I kind of made up my own.

Here's the bread cut up into pieces. It cut into five pieces but the top slice was curved, so I ate it. WHY has no one told me about panettone before? Or made me eat it? IT IS SO GOOD.

You have to mix some eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt together to form the 'dip' for the bread before you put it in the hot griddle.

 before & after... sorry if raw eggs make you queasy.

Then you dip the bread on both sides and then put it in the griddle!



They need to cook for 4-5 minutes on each side... so while I was waiting, I made Giada's cinnamon sugar syrup to go on top. And I also made scrambled eggs with my gingerbread spatula: Judge not.


Recipe:

  • 1 small panettone (cut into 4 or 5 slices)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • pinch of salt


  1. In a broad bowl (you'll need to dip), mix the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt together. Make sure it's really mixed up! 
  2. Dip each piece of bread (mine were about 1/2-3/4 of an inch thick each) into the mixture. Make sure both sides are covered and then put it on a griddle pan over medium-high heat.
  3. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side and then eat! It is sweet enough that it doesn't need syrup, but the syrup is yummy!

1 comment:

  1. I think Aldi has Pannetonne at this time of year too. They have a sampling of European items at Christmas that I don't see too many places. I don't think I've ever had it.

    ReplyDelete